Chris Connolly is a published International award-winning photographer from Clane, County Kildare, who specialises in Macro Photography. He represented Ireland (Irish National Winner) in the 2015 Sony World Photography Awards. These awards were hosted by the World Photography Organisation and his work was exhibited in Somerset House (London), which is the largest Arts and Cultural Centre in the heart of the city. This is the world’s largest photography competition receiving 173,000 entries from 171 countries and its aim is simple: to recognise and reward the best contemporary photography in the world.
Also in 2015, he hosted his first solo exhibition in conjunction with Ireland’s National Heritage Week. This hugely successful exhibition, received National media attention, including numerous TV interviews, focused solely on his macro photography work. It was supported and funded by the Kildare County Council. He has also won awards for his macro photography with Biodiversity Ireland and the Irish Wildlife Trust.
In 2017, he did two interviews for the American Adorama TV series, “Out of the Darkroom”. Adorama TV are based in New York & are the leading source of videos for photographers around the world. They have over 1,000,000 viewers per month on YouTube. These interviews can be viewed, either on www.chrisconnollyphotography.com or on YouTube.
In 2017/18, he supplied macro film footage to Crossing The Line Films, the company who gave us the multi-award winning “Wild Ireland – The Edge Of The World” series. This series beat David Attenborough’s “Planet Earth 2” for the best natural history documentary at the prestigious Grierson Awards in London last year. The four part series titled, “A Wild Irish Year” was broadcasted on RTE1 during the summer of 2018.
Chris noted: “The macro world surrounds us but yet we don’t see it very often. What appeals to me is the fact that you can share images with details and information that cannot be seen with the naked human eye – for me, this is very exciting. Macro photography is 99% preparation, research, tenacity and perseverance. The other 1% is the photography, and this 1% represents one of the most challenging genres of photography to work in because of the knowledge, skill, expense and specialised equipment required. You have to be extremely patient, observant and have an eye for the smallest detail in order to produce a top quality image”.
“Macro photography is an extraordinary form of visual art that helps us to capture the beauty of the miniature world lurking right beneath our feet. The trillions of these tiny creatures that inhabit the Earth can make some of the most fascinating and dramatic close-up photography subjects. Insects and their tiny environments offer the macro photographer an unlimited amount of colour, texture, and physical architecture to explore. I also feel that macro photography has the power to change our culturally bred perception that spiders, small insects and bugs are pests that are expendable. This is simply not the case, because in the grand scheme of things, these insects are more beneficial to our planet than we are”.
“Macro photography is possibly the closest activity we will find to exploring a new planet. The world of nature is so vast that it is quite possible for a photographer to discover a species that has never been recorded in science before, even in such a small country as Ireland. Life on earth (no matter how small) is really beautiful and it deserves our respect”.
During the summer months, insects and bugs can be found almost anywhere but sometimes when you are looking for specific subjects, you just can’t find them so Chris relies on the public to help him with this. If you come across an unusual insect or bug, you can contact him on 086 8363534 or alternatively via www.facebook.com/macrophotographyireland
Thank you for visiting this website and if you want to view more of Chris’s work, please visit www.chrisconnollyphotography.com